Carolina Barbecue Sloppy Joes
Stir in this simple recipe for a sweet BBQ that has a lingering heat that guarantees your family is gonna love how this taste.
Active Time: 30 minutes
- 2 lbs. Plant-based ground beef alternative
- 1 C. Onion - finely chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic - minced
- 4 each Scallions - chopped into ¼ inch slices
- 1 C. Plochman's Carolina BBQ Mustard
- ½ tsp Hot chili powder
- ¼ C. Dark brown sugar - packed
- 6 oz Tomato paste – one small can
- 14.5 oz. Chopped tomatoes - one can, drained
- ¼ C. Olive oil for frying
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Begin by heating your oil and frying the finely chopped onions until a little brown, and then add the brown sugar and stir until this dissolves into the onion, next add the garlic, and continue to fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the drained chopped tomatoes and stir into each other then add the plant-based beef, season with hot chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir and brown until this resembles browned ground beef.
- Next stir in the tomato paste and Carolina BBQ Mustard, stir until consistency is achieved. Lastly stir in the scallions and stir to distribute evenly.
- Take off the heat, toast and ‘butter’ your bun if you wish, and spoon in lots of the Sloppy Joe, this should serve about 12 portions of 6 ounces each.